What is gac?
The other day I was doing some health news research and came across a fruit called gac dubbed “Fruit from Heaven”. The scientific name of the gac fruit is Momordica cochinchinensis Spreng. It has been regarded as the “Fruit from Heaven” because of its powerful antioxidants, particularly beta-carotene and lycopene. The fruit goes by other names such as Chinese bitter cucumber, cundeamor, and bhat karela. It is found throughout the Southeast Asian region from South China to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam. It has a very short harvest season peaking in December and January.
What are the benefits?
Health and Anti-Aging
I wanted to share this information because it could possibly help many of my readers with their health, beauty and wellness. The fruit also has anti-aging properties plus it increases energy level. Who doesn’t want to look their best as they age plus have more energy!! Before I tell you more about this healing heavenly fruit, let me share the exceptional scientific data: Gac contains 76 times more Lycopene than tomatoes, 10 times more Beta-Carotene than carrots, 60 times more vitamin C than oranges, and 40 times more Zeaxanthin than yellow corn. It has the highest concentration of Beta-Carotene of any known fruit or vegetable!
Rich in Antioxidants
The gac fruit becomes a magnificent dark orange color upon ripening and has both food and medicinal values. The gac fruit is traditionally cooked into glutinous rice to produce a brilliant orange rice known as Xoi Gac. As traditional medicine, gac has been used to treat conditions of the eyes, burns, skin problems and wounds. The juice of the fruit is consumed as a healthy beverage that is good for the eyes, immune system, reproduction, skin, heart, and prostate. This fruit has high levels of pro-vitamin A, vitamin E, iron, folic acid, omega 6, omega 9 and is rich in selenium which is important to the nervous system as well as combating depression. The oil in the fruit is exceptional for the absorption and transportation of beta-carotene through the body.
Where is gac?
Gac extracts are sold as a food supplement or included in juice blends. Moisturizers and serums are now being produced with gac extracts because of its superior skin benefits.
Health Highlights of the Gac Fruit:
- Immunity– Beta-Carotene from the fruit converts into vitamin A and helps in the development of white blood cells including lymphocytes which are the important “foot solders” in the immune system. This enables the body to defend against disease. It induces apoptosis, the natural elimination of mutant cells.
- Reproductive function– Beta-Carotene from fruit supports healthy reproductive function by enhancing sperm count. It converts into pro-vitamin A, an important nutrient that plays a key role in embryonic development.
- Skin- Lycopene and beta-carotene from the fruit enhance skin health by mitigating oxidative damage in skin tissue protecting cells from damage. It stimulates rebuilding of the collagen subcutaneous structures, regulates moisture loss and promotes tissue regeneration. It improves skin elasticity and has natural sunscreen properties.
- Heart– The various antioxidants from the fruit enhance heart health by combating atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) thus protecting against heart attacks. It improves micro-circulation and inhibits LDL oxidation. It also decreases peripheral vascular resistance and therefore helps prevent strokes.
- Anti-Aging– Powerful antioxidants from the fruit are excellent scavengers of free radicals and helps increase life span and promotes healthy aging. It also and protects and repairs DNA and fights oxidation stress damage.
- Eye health– The zeaxanthin from the fruit have molecules that help prevent night blindness, treat dry eyes, and improves poor eyesight. Zeaxanthin helps reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Energy– The antioxidants and vitamins from this fruit creates a natural energy booster reducing fatigue. It increases endurance and strengthens the body and is highly effective in combating effects of low oxygen levels.
- Prostate health and other cancers– Studies show that lycopene and beta-carotene are effective in preventing prostate cancer. The gac fruit contains the highest levels of beta-carotene known in either a fruit or vegetable. Studies on the protein purified from the gac seed show strong anti-tumor activity against human cervical, kidney, and small lung cancer cells. Another study found that the water extract of gac to be effective against colon cancer. Check out this article from Prostate.net here regarding prostate and other cancer studies results.
Customers can buy Gac juice blends, capsules, moisturizers and serums. Check out the links below: